Friday 3 February 2017

Went the polyurethane bush route.

After thinking and re-thinking, measuring and calculating I have opted for the poly bush as the wishbone mounts. As the build is suppose to be on a budget and where I can, will construct or manufacture the bits myself and also my past experience it was the best choice.

 

Again not cheap as they use to be but found a reasonable priced seller on Ebay, these were the same used on my Locost build, a replacement poly bush for the Triumph Spitfire or Herald which takes a 3/8 UNF bolt.

 

 

So now the challenge is to build a jig to bend 22 suspension brackets the same, out of 40mm flat bar at 3mm thick. This is fun believe you me, keeps the brain ticking............

 

 The jig was constructed of old brackets from work, you need to grind the galvanising first or the weld will splatter and give off fumes.

The bracket in the picture was my first attempt which will the used to mark the rest. Take a masonry nail sharpen on the grinder, drill two holes to the height you require and you have a rudimentary but accurate scriber.

 

 


I will have to manufacture 8 brackets the same so I can start to cut and tack weld the front wishbones in the next few days.

 

Yes enjoyed the afternoon in the man cave, please be aware there was some tinkering of the jig along the way but only one wasted bracket. 

 

 

 

No intentions of posting anymore now until the front wishbones are done and the rear end extended which should look something like this...

 
 

But before I  do I will have to decide on which rear uprights and hubs to use as this will have an effect on the height of the box section which holds the rear wishbones and chain differential.

All good fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment